Top 5 of 2012: Reflection

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Top 5 of 2012

Well after seeing all of my favorite and failing garments I realized I have learned a lot. Looking back  has been a great way to see how far I've come and all the lessons I've learned getting there.  Sewing has brought a lot of happiness into my world. New clothes, new friends, it's all been great!  So let's reflect back on the year and all that it's taught me.

1.  Rome wasn't built in a day...

     Important jobs take time.  I'm very impatient at times.  When I first started sewing I would rush through garments because I wanted to wear them asap.  Don't ask me to show you the inside of those garments because it ain't gonna happen.  Often most of my time was spent fussing over how long the pattern instructions were gonna take me to read instead of focusing on cutting out my pattern pieces properly.  Hastily cut pattern pieces can lead to ill fitted garments.  What I'm trying to say here is slow down, take your time.  Focus on quality over quantity.  We all can't be awesome like Lladybird and sew up 52 garments of perfection for the whole year!!

2.  muslin, Muslin, MUSLIN!!!

     If I had to pick one thing I hate about sewing it would have to be the muslin.  For impatient little ol' me I just don't have the time.  So if I think I can get away without doing a muslin first you bet your sweet ass I'm not gonna do one.  And that kind of no can do attitude has bit me in the ass more than one time too!  There are many reasons why one should take the time and do a muslin.  The more obvious reason is fit.  Tasia from Sewaholic states some other pretty good reasons as to why one should bother with a muslin on her blog post here.

3. fabric, Fabric, FABRIC!!!
  
     I'd love to use quilting cotton for everything if I could.  There is such a wide variety of fun prints and colors!  I've learned though that certain styles require a certain type of fabric and that I should pay attention to what the pattern says when it comes to fabric recommendations.  They do know what they are talking about, a little lot more than me!  I'm still learning about all the different types of fabric.  If I was asked to pick out garbadine or cotton voile from a lineup I'd fail miserably.  Fabric types is one thing I hope to become more familiar with in the coming year.

4.  It's a learning process...

     Every time I sit down at my machine I learn something new.   It ranges anywhere from learning new sewing lingo (it took me forever to figure out what WIP meant), learning a new way to finish a seam or using a new sewing foot.  There are tons and tons of online resources.  Usually when I'm in a jam some of my favorites places to look are: YouTube, Reader's Digest: New Complete Guide to Sewing,  or The Colette Sewing Handbook.

5.  you, You, YOU!!!

     You guys rock!  When I started my blog I had no idea of all the sewing blogs already out there.  I started reading, became hooked and made a ton of new friends.  You are all so supportive.  It's like we have our own little world together out on the webosphere.  You are all inspiring to me and whether you sew/blog or not your supportive comments keep me going.  At times when I feel like I wanna give up I go to a sewing blog to get inspired or I go back and read all of your supportive comments.  I can't say enough to express my gratitude to you all!! I'm am truly amazed that I have followers from all around the world.  It's so freaking awesome!!  XOXO

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!  It turned out to be a white one here in Indiana.  We've gotten up to a foot of snow in parts.  Snow makes for good sewing in my book!  What's the weather like where you are at? 



       

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. I agree with everything you wrote, these are things I'm working on as well. Just slow down and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's SO hard to slow down, isn't it? This is something I'm continually working on too.


    I almost always do a muslin, but I've stopped calling them "muslins" and started calling them "test runs" or "test garments" or "fitting garments" because I always use a similar but less costly fabric that I won't mind wearing out in public! I just can't see spending my time on a piece of plain white muslin, unless I've got extensive fitting changes to make (like on that damned Peony!) They don't always work out, but they mostly do, especially since I've started measuring the pattern pieces before cutting anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with all of these reflections- slowing down is soooo hard! And fabric that isn't quilting cotton... It lures you in with the epic print!


    Amen, Dokucug! I am of the school of cute fabriced muslins. I loathe spending all that time on fitting whilst looking at sad fabrics. Some cheery old print makes everything seem that much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll start too with the cute fabric muslins. That should make it less painful for me to do one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Measuring the pattern pieces is a great idea. I don't know why I never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree! Measuring pattern pieces has really helped me to save time. I'll even skip a muslin when I measure pieces if it's something really simple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you, too, about all of these points! I HATE to take forever on a garment, but I'm trying not to rush-- it's better to not have a new dress to wear to that wedding (EVEN THOUGH YOU REALLLLLLLY WANT ONE) than to have yet another shoddily-constructed dress that you'll never wear again hanging in your closet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And wait-- I didn't realize you are from IN! I grew up there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No way!! What part of Indiana? How cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the very northwest corner, just east of Chicago. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the other way, close to Evansville.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh ok. That explains why you're enjoying the snow-- we are buried under it until April every year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i-heart-fabric.blogspot.comDecember 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM

    Hey Shanni! I can pretty much relate to everything you just mentioned above. I never make anything first in the muslin, I always rush and never iron things when I should. We will get there though hehe. No worries about the mention on my blog I really love your blog and so glad you started it. Its stinking hot summer over our way atm and I am on 3 weeks holidays yay. So plenty of time to sew some pretty dresses and tops. Can't wait to see what you make in 2013 and Happy New Years!! xoxo Erin

    ReplyDelete