We interrupt the regularly scheduled program..

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Well I was going to do another Thriftin' Thursday post for ya all but all I had was some pillows I made using vintage fabric I scored at an antique store.  Hardly worthy of a full blog post and talk about a snooze fest.  Instead I was thinking about posting my plans for Rochelle's Sew for Victory 1940's inspired sew along.  I then got side tracked and headed over to YouTube and did a search on the 1940's.  I stumbled upon Glamour Daze's channel where there are a ton of wonderful videos on 1940's fashions and makeup tutorials.  I was in a 1940's trance for what seemed like hours.  My favorite video is the Rosie the Riveter Song.  I really wanted to post it here but they disabled embedding videos so your gonna have to trust me and head over to their page yourself!  Once you snap back into reality come back and read about my 1940's plans!!

I picked up some 1940's repro patterns from Simplicity when JoAnn's had Simplicity 5 for $5.  I also picked up a fun nautical print that I have the perfect anchor buttons for.  The fabric is two sided and I'm undecided on which side I should use...What do you all think? A or B?? (I'm making version C)


victory1

victory2


I'm also going to make the pants from this pattern and I'm pretty sure I'm going with the first swatch fabric (although I'm really loving the red too).

victory3


The sewing blogs have also been in a buzz about Julia Bobbin's 2nd Mad Men challenge.

mmc27

Uhh yes I'm in! Duh!  I sat in the sidelines last year as sadly I had no clue what Mad Men was.  My stupid Dish provider had cancelled our AMC channel.  After seeing all the fabulous dresses and realizing what I was missing out on I quickly bought the first 4 seasons on Ebay and planted my butt on the couch for a whole weekend totally obsessed with the show.  Now then Dish has pulled their heads out of their behinds and added AMC back to our channel package. Yippee!
Here are my inspiration pieces,
Peggy....


Photo courtesy of amctv.com






and Betty...

Photo courtesy of amctv.com

Maybe I'll get a little crazy and make them both as I have the fabric and patterns to do so.

And a big thank you and a shout out to Rachel over at Raywuwei who nominated me for the Liebster Blog Award. It's so very kind of you! *blushing*...

Oh and these two lovebirds wanted to wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day...



You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. I'm really excited to see your version of the 1940s Simplicity blouse, because I bought that pattern recently too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, your 40's outfit is going to be so cute! Love it! I kinda like side B better, I think. And I'm really excited to see your Mad Men dress! I skipped out last year because I was too busy, but I'm sorely tempted to try this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I differ from Ginger and like the first side best. I like the stronger contrast, which would look amazing with the trousers in red... But either way, this will be an amazing outfit!

    That Betty pic was nearly my Mad Men Challenge inspiration too, but I've decided to go for a Joan one instead! Http://grosgraingreen.bligspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the B side stripe better because they turn into mini pin stripe-stripes! So cool! I really love the classic nautical red and blue together, but the brown pants will be more universal to wear. (Isn't that Rosie song awesome? lol!) Can't wait to see your Mad Men dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote side B, but is that sparkly stuff scratchy against your skin? If so better go with A! Sounds like you have some amazing plans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i-heart-fabric.blogspot.com.auFebruary 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

    I have only just finished watching MM season 1 haha talk about late in the game. I'm still trying to decide what to make so your lucky you have picked something! I downloaded Butterick 5747 which looks okay for MM and maybe Butt 5846 for 1940's challenge. But I have to get fabric DoH! Cant wait to see your creations!!

    Erin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I like both of those patterns! I'm positive they will both be perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I don't know about the scratchy, I guess I better test that out huh? I have a lot of votes for B

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking I really like the red too. I may just do both because I made a wearable muslin in gray and I really love how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you should do it!! It'll be great I know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the Joan one you picked out. They even have the pen necklace she wears all the time on Amazon you could buy to go with it!

    http://www.amazon.com/1928-Jewelry-Inspired-Gold-Tone-Necklace/dp/B001I4RSQ6

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh good! Love that pattern. I want to try all the versions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the shiny side of the fabric. Great inspiration dresses, I look forward to seeing what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sparkles! I just got this pattern too! I have a lovely kelly green swiss dot that's going to be the long-sleeved version.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that's going to look great! green is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete