Fabricista Challenge Week 6: Surprise Fabric

Monday, October 28, 2013

Challenge: Using the fabric we have selected for you, challenge yourself by making a unique garment and working with a material you may not have used before to create one well-made garment. You can use a pattern of you choice to construct your garment. 
You will be judged on creativity, functionality, craftsmanship, and fit. 


We were all sent the same fabric for this challenge.  A polyester chiffon and I totally forgot to take pictures of it.  It is a panel print and we received two panels.  Shams took a good picture of the fabric for her blog. You can see it here.

I'm not going to lie people I was not excited to see this fabric. My first thoughts, Wow this is hideous.  Sorry (not sorry) just want to be honest with you all and if I can't be totally honest on my own blog then I don't know what I'm doing here.  It's nothing I would ever pick out for myself so I had a real challenge here.  Feeling uninspired my husband suggested I make pajamas.  I thought that was a great idea because I wanted something different as I figured everyone would make a flowy shirt or dress with it.  I thought a little harder and wondered if a jumpsuit might work.  Not quite pajama status but something I could lounge in all day at the house.  If the mail man happened to come to the door delivering a huge box of fabric I could totally answer it without looking like I just rolled out of bed.  I know I risked looking like a convict with all the stripes so I went to Pinterest to ease my fears.  I was quite surprised to see a lot of striped jumpsuits (the non convict style).  But the style of jumpsuit I was most attracted to was this one...

Source: Pinterest
To create this look I did a mashing of patterns.  For the top I used Grainline's Scout Tee.  I wanted a contrasting solid neckline like my inspiration picture so I altered my pattern to do so.  I've done that once before and talked about it here.   I also added an invisible zipper to the center back.  For the bottoms I had a jumpsuit pattern already, McCall's 6083 so I used those bottoms but shortened and tapered them in so they weren't so full.  The waistline is elastic casing and I did the same for the leg hems.  For added detail I tacked on bows to the legs and waistline.  It's fully lined with white polyester lining.  The inside seams are finished with french seams and on the seams like the armholes, serged.

shannon1

I think the hardest part of working with chiffon is cutting out the pattern and getting a good press on your seams.  When sewing any seams I made sure and used A LOT of pins to keep things in place.   I used a 70/10 microtex needle.  Thanks to my handy dandy Schmetz app I will never sew with the wrong size needle again.

shannon2

I'm not really as mad as I look in this picture.  Despite the print I really do like the style of this outfit.  I  know part of the challenge was to work with a fabric you normally wouldn't and make something wearable...mission accomplished.

shannon3

I have to say my jumpsuit served it's lounging purpose for the day.  Vito even got in on some lounge time.  Oh who am I kidding, all day, every day is lounge time for that Pug.

shannon4

Please take a moment to go to the Fabric Mart blog and vote for your favorite make!! 
Voting is now over.  Please click here to see who won this challenge!

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. hehe I love lounging pug and well done for nailing something in fabric you weren't too keen on. I think you look very diva.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanni....You are the cutest thing ever! Great Job....so creative! Can I have your dog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Way to use that awful fabric! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable and so ceative! I would have found this a tricky print and fabric to work with. You managed to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! I love that you found such a fun way to use fabric you weren't excited about. It's so cute! I'm glad Vito got to make an appearance, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very fun make, Shanni! Very whimsical. But can I talk for a minute about Vito? O.M.G. he needs a fan page on Facebook and I would LIKE it! He is adorable beyond words and I am a cat person. ;) That print of him is pretty cool, too! Your "spa" pic cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you were right when you said everyone was going to make a flow-y blouse or dress! Kudos for standing out in the crowd ;) You have my vote!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha! He has a fanpage, search for Vito Speedo. He doesn't update it very much...too busy lounging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Vito would be upset if he didn't get his face time in :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes it was very tricky!! Glad this challenge is over! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. he he thank you! I think I might put up a fight for Vito. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turned out SO incredible! I'd be in this daily :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That app is rad, thanks for the tip. I just downloaded it. And of course I'm voting for your awesome creation too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is and I will be making another, just in a different fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! It was a hard print to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a tough fabric, but I love what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that is pretty crazy fabric! And, you used our jumpsuit pattern, so cool! I still want to do a jumpsuit sewalong with you and make jumpsuits together. Me thinks this would best be done in spring when I would actually wear said jumpsuit. LOVE the pic of you and Vito relaxing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes I still want to do a sewalong too!! I love the jumpsuit, just not crazy about the fabric. Spring sounds like a good plan!!

    ReplyDelete