Sew For Victory Complete!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Sew For Victory creation is complete and I'm excited to share it with you.  I've been anxiously waiting to get pictures.  I wanted outside pics as I'm tired of my sewing room back drop.  It's still a little chilly out and the gnats are horrible!  I suffered through it as I don't think I'm going to have anymore available photo time before the deadline.

Every time this shirt comes into view I start singing it's the Good Ship Lollipop in my head.  The top is a very patriotic/nautical mix but I figured this is a 1940's sew along and there was a war going on the first half of the year, hence the term sewing for victory.  I will definitely be rocking this shirt Fourth of July. 

outside front

The top is Simplicity 1692 and the pants Simplicity 4044 which I've already blogged about here.  Now you might remember I said I was going to make these pants in red.  I really like the gray pair I made and have already gotten a lot of wear out of them.  Due to time constraints and the fact I don't really think I'd get the same amount of wear out of a red pair I decided to save my beautiful red fabric.  I've been dreaming of a pair of red crop pants ever since I seen Sunni's pair.  Ooh and this top would look great with those!

side view completed2

For the top I started out with version C for my muslin and the neckline was way too high for my liking.  I did adjust the neckline on my muslin to better suit me but I still wasn't in love with it.  You can see it here.  So for my final version I went with the scoop neckline in version d.  Also with my muslin I discovered I had a lot of excess fabric in the middle of my back.  I marked on my pattern where the excess fabric was, cut and shortened by 1 inch.  I did this on my front and back pattern piece.  I also messed with the length of the darts, lengthening them 1/2 inch.  Of course I don't remember what kind of fabric this is but it was some sort of stretch knit with a medium weight.  
Yay for no zipper.

back side

What I love about this pattern is the buttoned shoulders.  The blue and silver pinstripe was screaming for some nautical buttons so I didn't disappoint.  I found these white and gold anchor buttons on ebay. 

buttons

I wanted to incorporate a pop of red in my shirt so I added red piping around the arm sleeves.  Since I don't plan on ever wearing this shirt tucked in I thought it needed some red piping around the bottom hem as well.

shirt out

Holy moses see all those tiny black dots in the photo??  I was being bombed by gnats!  And might I also add the striking power lines in the background...

close up

Thanks to Rochelle for hosting such a great sew along!  I feel like I've learned a lot.  I'm really enjoying all the outfits I've seen via the Flickr group.  So many talented peeps out there!

I've got another 1940's pattern in the works...stay tuned.

You Might Also Like

40 comments

  1. cute! it's 1940s but also very modern and wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the button details, super cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the red piping and the fact that you made the shirt in a knit! That definitely appeals to me more than a zipper in a blouse. Also, those buttons are PERFECT! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute top! I love the red piping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The buttons! The piping! The stripes! This is a fabulous nautical dream! I could not love this more :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This top is fabulous! I love those buttons, and the stripes with the piping are just perfect! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This outfit is absolutely gorgeous I love it so much!! You look stunning!! Love the shoulder buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! I love those buttons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great outfit! Nice work, lady! The fit on the pants is impeccable! I have to laugh a little bit at your pictures- they look so much like where I grew up! Add some unmelted snow here and there and change half the grass to mud and you're pretty much in my childhood backyard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Ha ha yes my heels were sinking in mud as I was trying to take these pictures! And I was choking on gnats! aahh country life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look splendid!! The top is darling. Great button choice. Buttons always stump me... I like how the button loops get gradually longer--very cute design! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. adorable! love the details =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite part is the red detail! It's a great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The buttons, and the piping! What cool details. Well done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it!! And btw, I'm obsessed with Sunni's red pants, also. I ran out and bought the pattern and I'm keeping an out for the perfect red fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute!! Great outfit. The top turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! I love the buttons on your blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! I got my red fabric from Mood. It's a cotton gabardine. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debi_myhappysewingplaceApril 1, 2013 at 4:14 AM

    I love vintage nautical and this top is just lovely!! I love the back tucks and the buttons fit it perfectly!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I freaking LOVE those buttons!!! The top is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a cute outfit! The fit of those pants is impeccable. I love the buttons and red piping on the shirt. Ahh, I hate gnats! Good on ya' for toughing it out. I would've given up on taking pictures. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful suit! I think the top is the perfect complement to those pants, you look very patriotic! Next, we will see in the next challenge of Mad Men ... Do you have your project going??

    http://sewingadicta.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ack! I just cut out my dress tonight! It's a fairly easy pattern so I should have no problem getting it done by Friday. How is yours coming along?

    ReplyDelete