Thrifty Thursday via Pinterest and a big ol Thank You!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

First off a big ol' thank you for all your wonderful comments on my cherry Bombshell!  I so enjoy reading each of your comments, it's my drive.  My phone was exploding at work that day with blogger notifications.  I feel so loved :)  I have yet to wear it in a pool, soon though.  A friend invited me to go swimming next week.  Maybe I'll test in out in the bathtub first, splash around like a duck and give it a good once over before I put it to the true test. 

I don't have a thrift store remake to share but it is thrifty and that counts cuz it cost me zero dollars.  I've had this dress tutorial pinned on one of my Pinterest boards for long, long time.   You know how you pin stuff, "Oh that's cute" - pin it..."Hey I can make that" - pin it... "I'll try this out over the weekend" - pin it... "ooh that looks yummy" - pin it..."ooh look a puppy!" - pin it...and then you forget it.  Yes I'm a Pinterest whore.  

Pinterest 1

All you need to make this dress is a tank top, fabric, thread, and a couple hours.  I happened to have all thee above so was on my merry little way one evening.  I used an old tank top of my own.  I don't know about you but you can never have enough white or black tank tops. I'm a w-hoarder as well.   The skirt fabric was from my leftover stash from a dress I made here.  You'll need enough to wrap around yourself one and a half times.

pinterest 9

For more detailed instructions, pics and the brains behind the operation please follow the tutorial here.  I'm just gonna give you a quick run through of how I did it.  First I tried on my tank and marked where I would like it to end on my waist and added about 1/2 inch for seam allowance, then cut the tank it half. (taking it off of course, doh!).  Next wrapped my fabric around myself 1 and a half times and cut off the excess.  Pinned what is to be the back seam right sides together and sewed and serged.  Next took one end of my skirt tube and did gathering stitches along the top.  The tutorial suggests using elastic thread in your bobbin.  Once you start sewing your fabric will automatically start gathering.   I didn't have any so I just did the normal gathering method.  Turn your skirt wrong side out, slip tank top inside the skirt hole, right sides together, matching the raw edge to your gathered edge.  Adjust your gathers to fit the tank, pin and sew.  Then I serged. I really wanted a maxi dress but I didn't have quite enough so I cut it off just above my knees.  I serged the end of my skirt and used the awesomeness that is steam a seam to fold my hem and topstitched in place. 

pinterst 5

Vito says "Nice dress and all by hey it's hot out here!..When are we going in?"




pinterst 6

"Screw this I'm going in, you can find me on the A/C vent"





pinterest 7

"But first I gotta pee"

 

 

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. V thrifty and good to use up those fabric leftovers! Pats for Veto too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tutorial to find. It looks great. I love finding ways to use leftover fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely dress! The first time I read this post, I had a really slow connection on my phone and none of the pics loaded, but I already wanted to make it. Now I've seen yours, it looks even better than I imagined it! Definitely going to give it ago, although annoyingly I don't have a stash of spare tank tops at home :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've signed up to pinterest today (I'm a bit of a dinosaur) and my first pin was the tutorial for this dress! Really like the style, and the mix of a plain top with funky fabric at the bottom. Thanks for introducing me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial link. What a quick and easy dress AND it looks great! I really like the print you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to comment on your bombshell but I think the Internet ate it :( it was something along the lines of omg hot!! This sounds like a great instant gratification project. Well done :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty swimsuit, I love the cherries :) I am the same with pinterest. My sewing/diy board has 300+ pins and I might have made about 5 things off it... oops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watch out, it'll soon become an obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! The internet is good at doing that at times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!
    I forget about more than half the pins I put on there. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Electric blue tank top and my giraffe print fabric I've been trying to find a worthwhile use for - plan! Will be tank top shopping this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God yes, I can totally relate re Pinterest. And then if I do remember something, I can never find it again! I do think I pinned this though, or something similar. This looks great! A good, throw it on summer dress! The skirt fabric is a lovely print and colour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute dress! I have seen this tute floating around pinterest as well, but have never sewn it up. You've inspired me to do it! Love the pics and Vito commentary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute! I'm totally a tank top hoarder as well, they are so versatile in sumer. I'll definitely need to keep this in mind for when summer comes back here :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes I have trouble finding stuff I've pinned too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh goodie I can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sure will! It's a very quick make!

    ReplyDelete