Colette Sorbetto and George needs your vote!

Friday, August 02, 2013

Whew, the past few days I've been hunched over my machine sewing like a ninja...(is that possible?)  Yesterday I was in rush mode to get my projects done for the Dear Stella/Kollabora challenge due today.  Yes I'm a known procrastinator.  I entered my sewing room at approximately 0900 hours and didn't see the light of day until 7 hours later when I heard my husband come home from work.  I didn't even stop to eat.  I actually think I forgot.  Does that ever happen to any of you??  I didn't get everything completed I wanted to but there's always another day, right?!.  Here's a photo of the aftermath...

aftermath

In all that mess I managed to make, what I think is, a beautiful, cheery Colette Sorbetto.  I saved my favorite fabric from the Dear Stella fat quarter bundle for last.  I knew I wanted to make a garment out of it but didn't know how I was going to pull it off with that little of fabric.  It wasn't until the last minute while trying to organize fabric onto my new shelves (you can see my progress/fail in above photo) that I spotted the beautiful peach cotton poplin I bought at Mood last year.  All fabric reorganization was put to a quick halt and my final Dear Stella/Kollabora project was coming alive.  The #sewdontclean hashtag I've been seeing everywhere is my new motto.  I think I need a plaque on my wall.

sorbetto 1

I'm probably the last person on the sewing planet to sew up this free pattern.  It's been in my queue awhile and I even started a muslin a year ago...don't ask me what happened with that..I don't know!

sorbetto 2

I cut a size 0 and the only alterations I needed was moving the bust darts down about a half inch.  I used my favorite summer floral fat quarter as the contrasting front pleat and back piece and the green dottie as my exposed bias binding.  If you would like details on how I altered my pattern to achieve this I have a tutorial posted on Kollabora.

sorbetto back

I love the way it turned out even though my husband says it looks like something a little girl would wear.  So I guess Cynthia I'm taking a page from your book...#grownupfetus and idgaf.  I'm gonna rock this shit like a baby wearing a onsie!

Speaking of child like behavior I have a dilemma and it involves a huge stuffed animal...

  george

Meet George the Grape Ape.  Look up, he's above all that mess your eyeballs are attracted to.  I got a new cube shelf to organize some of my fabric and George just barely fits on it.  I have no other place for him so it's either sitting uncomfortably on top of this shelf or hanging out at the Goodwill waiting for his next home which will most like involve children and his life ending with matted hair and missing stuffing.  I just can't bear to part with him.  He's been with me for 15 years or more.  I met him at Busch Gardens in Florida.  It was one of those games where you have to get the ring around a milk jug.  My boyfriend at the time blew like $10 trying to win him for me.  I spent $1 on my first try and won the big lug.  It was meant to be.  We lugged him all around the park that day, it was rather hilarious.  Even more hilarious is that we had no room to bring him home.  He had to stay at my Grandparent's vaca home and wait for them to bring him back to Indiana.  Now picture an older couple driving down the highway with this thing in the backseat.  He's enjoyed several car rides during my many moves and I always get quite the stares coming down the road.  So should he stay or should he go?  What's he really hurting up there anyway?
 
Cast your vote now!

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. It's time for George (and you) to move on. You don't know... he might end up in an adult house and be well looked after. Great twist on the Sorbetto - hubby is so wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you have to keep him! I still have my teddy that I got when my sister was born, 36 yrs ago (although he does now really belong to Small Boy!). He's not in the way, and he looks happy!

    Love your Sorbetto! The floral details really make it! And husbands generally don't know what they are talking about! Did you alter the shape? Yours looks more fitted and less boxy than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute sorbetto! And it's not too childish. :) all you have to ask about your apey friend is "do I love him? "... if you do then keep him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I was thinking the same thing...I didn't do anything to the shape of it..oh well I forgot I did lengthen it so I bet that's why doesn't look boxy. When I lengthened it I did slightly curve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know but I don't wanna...waahhh!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes I do silly as it may seem. He's like a part of the fam! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. you made the simple sorbetto pattern look awesome !! -Diya , TheHobbyHarbor

    ReplyDelete
  8. He should stay! Love the top

    ReplyDelete
  9. I voted .... keep it!! hehe, It is good company for sewing ... especially by its silence. Love your version of Sorbetto, you got a mole very original and fun. Kisses.

    http://www.sewingadicta.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. tania@sewitanyway.wordpressAugust 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

    Ooh, you can't get rid of him then! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this Sorbetto version. Going to go to your tutorial and steal your idea! Good luck with the sewing challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't have to Sweetie! Keep him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't done the Sorbetto yet but I have printed it out and will hopefully do it soon :) And keep George!


    -Amy (www.thatssewamy.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. cute top! I haven't made the Sorbetto yet.... I see many possibilities for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oo I love the way you've added a shoulder yoke, what a great way to change such a simple pattern! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, you're not the last person to sew a Sorbetto, I think I am. Just finished mine today. I needed a lot of alterations to get it right, but I love it. I love love love your version! The back panel is too cool!

    ReplyDelete