Tilly and the Buttons: The Mimi Blouse

Sunday, July 13, 2014


I've been thoroughly enjoying myself here in Florida. So far we have done lots of shopping and lots of eating, even spotted a couple alligators! Tomorrow on the agenda is laying on the beach. I will finally get to test out my Bombshell. Saving vintage Simplicity 5644, Jiffy Bikini for another day. While I have some down time I thought I'd real quickly share my recent post for the Fabric Mart blog here (they should have it up on their site in a few days.) Warning!! Some rather goofy pics ahead. I was in the process of packing for my trip so I was in a really good mood. :)

picture 2


One of my most favorite types of fabric to work with is cotton. It’s natural, versatile and super easy to care for. Slap a fun print on that cotton and I’m sold!  I purchased this cotton lawn from Fabric Mart a few months ago when I seen its beauty popping up in my Instagram feed. C'mon hearts AND cherries!? I couldn't resist.  I believe they also sold the same print in a mint color but unfortunately I do not see either of the two still available on their site. Only makes me wish I would have bought more. Lawns are light and flowy which make them ideal during the summer months. When I purchased this fabric I knew exactly what pattern I was going to use, the Mimi Blouse by Tilly and the Buttons.

picture 3

The Mimi Blouse pattern is available in Tilly Walnes's new book, Love at First Stitch. Buy the book here or on Amazon.  As soon as Tilly released on her blog all the patterns to be in the book I quickly pre ordered a copy. I think they are all adorable. Tilly’s red version of the Mimi Blouse only helped to seal the deal.

picture 8

One of the things I love about the book is with each pattern Tilly gives you ideas on how to make it your own. For the Mimi Blouse in particular such things like exchanging the collar for a peter pan collar, piping the yoke or adding fabric covered buttons.  Another nice touch I found in is on each pattern piece. The book is written with beginner's in mind so those may find it helpful that the patterns have extra labeling. For example on the yoke pattern piece the shoulder seam is clearly labeled. Also labeled are where the front and back bodice joins so you don’t get confused as to what attaches where (as I still sometimes do).

picture 4

I made a size 2 and didn’t make any fitting alterations. I usually test a muslin but I didn't with this pattern. I instead measured my pattern pieces and compared those measurements to my own and to similiar RTW clothing I already had that I liked the fit of. I'm noticing in pictures now that I probably could of used a swayback adjustment. I will account for that in my next version.

picture 5

My favorite parts of this blouse are the Chelsea collar, gathered yoke and pleated sleeves. Ok, ok I like it all! The pleated sleeves and sleeve facings were a first for me.  I did my sleeve facings a little different then instructed. Instead of folding the facing and having it completely hidden under the sleeve I folded it in half and slip stitched it in place to form a teeny tiny sleeve band.

picture 6

I just so happened to have the perfect buttons in my stash…tiny pearl hearts to match the print! I tried to get closeup pictures but they were rather difficult to photograph so instead can we get another look at that adorable collar!? I just love it!  

picture 7

This print is a little busy for all the details this shirt has to offer. Because of that I would like to make my next version in a solid with contrasting piping around the yoke.

picture 9

This pattern (and the whole dang book for that matter) is a winner for me.  Way to go Tilly!

picture 10

Have any of you purchased Tilly's book? What's your favorite pattern?


You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. It looks very smart and stylish, but I was distracted by your scissors necklace which I love! I've got all Tilly's released patterns (and like all those) but I'm patiently saving the book for Christmas as I like having a new sewing book to read on Christmas Day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! That fabric is awesome. I also noticed the scissors necklace, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blouse! The fabric is adorable and the fit is spot-on. Can't wait to see more patterns from Tilly's book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blouse (and the photos)! Luckily, the pattern on the fabric hides the pooling fabric as much as the details :) I haven't bought the book but I might look at getting it out from the library to have a look through.



    Like Suzie though I LOVE the necklace! Is it still purchasable? Is that a word?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this blouse - I just finished a version which is getting lots of wear. I want to try the Lilou dress next I think!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blouse is gorgeous! I love the fabric, and can see how you couldn't resist it! I am trying so hard not to buy Tilly's book, because I already have so many crafting books, but I really want this blouse pattern. I didn't realise that it had the lovely cuff detail on the sleeves, and now I want it more! I also like the scalloped neck dress, and the pyjama bottoms. Sounds like I'm talking myself into it! Enjoy your holiday, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.comJuly 14, 2014 at 11:21 AM

    This is lovely, cute collar. and those pleats on the sleeves look so cute. I'm hoping to get the book for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are adorable! I love all your Tilly poses! Great blouse and thanks for the book review. I am planning to order it but it's not available in Canada until October...whaaaat? I know right, so unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had been eyeing that pattern in the book, but wasn't sure how it would turn out. Your version is adorable! Are you planning on making anything else from the book?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute!!! love your cute necklace too. Glad to hear that you are having a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow I don't think I'd have the willpower to wait that long! But it'll be worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I can't wait to make more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes the Lilou dress is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you have! Better go out and get you a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That would be an awesome bday gift!! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much!! That's odd I wonder why Canada has to wait so long. Oh well it will definitely be worth it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love the pleated sleeves. This is one of my favourite patterns from the book (which I've yet to buy) Your next version sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes I think I want to try the Clemence skirt, which is odd because I'm not much for gathered skirts but this one looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! This is definite my fave too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your blouse! Very pretty fabric and those pleated sleeves, just perfect. I also love your necklace!

    ReplyDelete