Sewing in Harmony Part 5: Sewing Notion Organization

Monday, September 08, 2014

We are nearing the end of this organization extravaganza folks!  Are you feeling a wee little more organized? I hope so! Only 2 more weeks to go and I hope you all join me in linking up and showing off your happy sewing spaces.

Part5


Wipe that sweat from your brow, before you start to panic just yet we got to talk about those sewing notions.  If you've been sewing for quite some time now hopefully you've accumulated a stash.  There is no greater feeling than finishing up that Grainline Studio Archer button up and realizing you have all the buttons you'll ever need right at your fingertips.  No trip to the store or waiting days for the mailman to deliver.  If your starting out I've got some tips sprinkled throughout for you on ways to build your stash without breaking bank, And yes it does include thrifting and dumpster diving. ;) Ok well maybe there will be no actual diving into dumpsters but you catch my drift.

So let's get started.  I'm sharing 8 of my favorite creative ways to store notions.. from thread, buttons, & bias tapes to the tools required to be close at hand...scissors, pins/needles and the misunderstood seam ripper.

1. Peg Boards

Peg boards are an easy DIY project.  I love the way they look and how they organize your things so neatly.  Everything you need is right at arm's reach.

2.Thread Frame  

Grey Luster Girl has a tutorial on making your own framed thread holder.  So fancy looking! My thread is stored on those boring old thread racks you can find at Joann Fabric.  This is way more fun!
A great way to build your thread stash, stock up when Joann Fabric has BOGO or 20% off all notions.

3. Magnetic Bobbin Holder
bobbin holder

If you use metal bobbins a great way to store them is with magnets and a metal container.  You can find these little round magnets at any craft store or Wal-Mart, same with the metal container. My container holds vintage patterns and my bobbins.  Be careful though..if you don't hot glue your magnets to the container be sure that your magnet is still not attached to the bobbin before putting in your machine...ask me how I know. doh!

4. Card File Drawers
cardfile

I come across this metal card filing drawer at a flea market a few weeks ago.  When I opened it it was crammed full of vintage bias tapes and trims.  Well of course it came home with me and I had my husband give it a makeover.  Keep your eyes peeled for little treasures like these when your out thrifting.  You can also find these drawers on Ebay or Etsy.  Not only do they store your bias tape but they can also be used for zippers and button cards.

5. Button Spice Rack

Ingenious!  My favorite thrift store/flea market finds...BUTTONS!!

6. Vintage Sewing Boxes
sewingboxes

Another favorite flea market find...vintage sewing boxes! Sometimes they come fully stocked!  The one on the left holds all my sewing machine needles. The right hold all my vintage notions.

  
7. Vintage Suitcases

Vintage suitcases are an inconspicuous way to store notions and fabrics too!  And they look so cute as room decor.


8. "Owl You Need" Sewing Buddy
owlbuddy

My favorite way for organizing sewing tools...and I may be a little biased here but it's my Owl You Need sewing buddy.  I made this little guy to sit next to my machine to hold my seam rippers, seam gauge, needles and scissors.  He's been quite the lifesaver as I don't waste time searching for my missing seam ripper anymore.  Want your own sewing buddy? I have a tutorial and a free pattern here or on Craftsy.

Do you have any creative ways of storing notions?  What's your favorite notion?  Mine has to be vintage buttons.

Links to the other series found below and don't forget to enter the giveaway!

Part 1: Series Introduction & Giveaway Entry
Part 2: Setting Up An Efficient Space: Furnishings & Layout
Part 3: Pattern Organization: Paper, PDFs & To Sew Lists
Part 4: Fabric Organization
   
Have a great week everyone! :)

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. That file card drawer is so cool! I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the owl.. Want to make one.But my room is too small. Lemme think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That owl is so cute! I love the spice rack for buttons - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Card file drawer looks fantastic and I love the button spice rack too. I feel some thrifting coming on! And I must put up my metal knife rack from ikea (for scissors/tools/bobbins).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spice rack button holder is genius! I have a past-their-due-date spice rack that would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh love the clipped on patterns!

    I have almost 400 patterns. A total sickness!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete