McCall's 6173, Oh How I Love Thee...

Sunday, November 23, 2014

McCall's 6173 oh how I love thee,

leopardheader
Let me count the ways...

1.  Your easy.  I'm sorry don't take that the wrong way. You even say so yourself right there on the pattern envelope.

2.  Your fast.  You sure don't like to take it slow.  I picked you up, introduced you to my machine and had you on in 45 minutes flat.  

bluevelvetcloseup

3.  Your Fun.  You know how to have a good time.  Expose a little zipper or sport a crazy print.  You even do it fun in solids.

shoesclose

I took out McCall's 6173 once last year (never blogged).  I made them up using a sweater knit from Joann's and though I wear them all the time I felt they were a little high waisted and overall didn't care for the fit.  The pattern has 3 options, A: waistband with a mock fly front zipper and exposed ankle zippers; B: the epitome of easy, an elastic waist; and C: elastic waist and longer than regular length to create a scrunched look around the ankle.  I intended to make adjustments to the pattern but as we all know something new and shiny came along and that quickly got moved down on the priority list.  Motivation came knocking in the form of fabric when Funki Fabrics contacted me and asked if I would like to review some of their fabrics.  Funki specializes in stretch fabrics only and because of this they are able to pour all of their resources into an in house graphics team that designs and delivers bookoo print options.  I was overwhelmed by the print options so I went a little crazy and ordered bookoo swatches.  It would of been terribly hard to limit myself to one print. Funki offered to send 3 yards and McCall's 6173 only takes ONE yard of fabric.  They graciously let me split that 3 yards up into 2 glorious prints and 1 solid.

leopard front2

Pick #1 is this panther velvet flexcite.  This stretch fabric is 80% polyester and 20% elastane. It's has a nice weight to it and they are velvet which makes them oh so soft and comfy to wear.  When ordering this fabric my only intentions were leggings made to wear around the house.  For picture purposes I thought it best to jazz it up and show you how they could be worn outside of the house.  I have to tell you if I was ever to go out for some night life and dancing this would be the outfit to wear.  You could "get down on it" and "dance the night away" in these pants with no fear of blowing out a seam or having saggy pants by night end.  The fabric moves with you.  
 
leopardside

I made a few changes to the pattern from the last time I made them up.  My first pair that I talked about from last year were too high waisted and too long.  The pattern has adjustment lines at the crotch, below the knees above the ankle.  I used these points to shorten about one inch at the crotch and two inches at the knee and ankle markings.  The rise now sits comfortably below my belly button and the length is perfect.

I was so in love with the panther velvet swatch I received that I wanted to try for second pair of velvet leggings in a more subtle print.  I decided to go for a solid this time...Yes it was hard for me.  After searching pinterest for velvet legging ideas I decided to go with the smooth velvet navy.  This fabric is 87% nylon and 13% elastane.  I know these are a different fiber content but they feel just as comfy as the polyester.  I've dressed them up here with a sweater and flats but I'm not sure these will ever make it off the couch.  I just don't think I can pull these off like those long legged Pinterest girls can.

bluevelvet2

For this pair I followed version C and lengthened them for the scrunched look around the ankles.  I'm not sure I like it as I think it just makes my pants look like they are too long and need shortened.

bluevelvetside

These last pair of leggings I have to show you have been the most worn and are my favorite among the three when it comes to print.  Anyone who knows me well knows I have a love for the Converse sneakers.  I own around 10 pair and the collection continues to grow.  I laughed out loud when I came across this sneaker print.  This fabric is 80% polyester and 20% elastane.  Only thing that could make these better is if they were velvet like the other pairs.

shoesfront

My husband laughs every time I wear these pants around the house.  I laugh too cuz they make me so damn happy! 

shoesfun

In my young mind I still like to think I'm as agile as I was in my teenage years.  My 30 something year old body begs to differ.  I almost killed myself in the picture above. I'll be paying for those shenanigans tomorrow.

For my next swimsuit I definitely know where I'll be shopping for fabrics.  If your a runner Funki could be a good source for you too.  Maybe I'll join a gym so I have an excuse to make more leggings.


I've ditched my flannel plaid jammies for cozy velvet leggings and warm fluffy socks.  What do you  like to "lounge it out" around the house in?


You Might Also Like

29 comments

  1. Have you made any with the zippers? I would like to make a more work appropriate version. Wondering if I could make that work using a stretch twill and the front fly zip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all three of these! They look awesome and I totally think you pull them off in public if you wanted to. I soooo want a pair of stretch velvet leggings for lounging around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me you'd love them! Very hard to take off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg is all I can say

    You have inspired me to become a leggings girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Those velvet leggings are to die for! You could totally dress those up and wear them out, but it's probably even more fun wearing them around the house and feeling and looking so chic and fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute on you!!!! PANTHER VELVET?!?! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on!!! They are so fun! Never want to take mine off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes loving the velvet! I need a night out on the town so I can wear those leopard print!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should definitely wear the blue velvet ones out of the house, that outfit is so cute! and the leopard ones are fun (and funki!) too! hope you make a converse sneaker print swimsuit, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sneaker swimsuit!? I would be the coolest kid at the beach!! :)>

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I haven't made that view. I don't know about stretch twill, but I think they would be cool with black ponte and some flashy zippers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am 100% OBSESSED with that leopard pair!!!!!! I want that fabric so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! These are awesome...I am so scared of leggings though and only wear them for running. These are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg, cool crazy tights! I never imagined the genius of velvet leggings either! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, these are all kinds of awesome. What fantastic fabrics. Seriously impressed by your flexibility in that last photo too. My mum once made me a pair of purple velvet leggings and a matching tunic to wear to my cousin's wedding when I was about 11. I rocked the look with platform wedges.Loved it! Perhaps I need to reintroduce velvet leggings into my life. Leggings are the ultimate loungewear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought of you when I was making these too. You need a pair for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to be scared of leggings too. They are so fun to wear with tunics and boots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh they are truly a glorious thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha my legs are still sore from that!!
    I remember wearing leggings back in the day but I never had a velvet pair. You must get you some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sneaker ones are great, but those leopard ones are just incredible. I'm quite jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The leopard ones are amazing, but they're all great hahaha. You're a flexible little bean aren't you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah, these are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So fun! Nice to experiment with fabrics. The leopard print is very cool

    I lounge around in jeans, usually - or pajama bottoms with an elastic waist.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm kinda torn between the two. Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha! I can't believe I can still stretch that far. Oh but I paid for it! he he!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I own lots of pajama bottoms! They are so comfy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so cool I love them! I would totally wear these out!

    ReplyDelete