Wooly Seperates

Friday, February 06, 2015

The weather is not always agreeable when it comes to blog pics.  I'm never happy with the way my photos turn out inside the house, never enough lighting, so I decided to tough it out in the cold.  As I'm heading out the door camera and tripod in hand my husband says, "You know it's 20 degrees out, right?"  "Eh, it's not the bad" I say.  Vito begs to differ.

front3

This make was inspired by Ping of Peneloping. I love her version.  The pinks are a nice change to the typical neutral colors you tend to see in the wintertime.  My version may not be as bright and cheery as hers but I really lucked out when I found this pink wool knit and matching plaid for super cheap at a antique store.  When I spotted the two I instantly knew a remake was in order.

closeup

The top is the Sewaholic Renfrew.  I've made several versions before and have even mentioned of it being a TNT.  It totally can be but I feel like there is still room for improvement. I always seem to end up with these weird folds of fabric near the armpit.  I've even adjusted the pattern by taking out a wedge near the armhole but after viewing these pictures I see it's still a problem.  Can anyone offer some advice on this?

  back

The skirt was made following this "Simple Skirt Tutorial" by Ping.  It really is simple.  You only need 3 rectangles of fabric and a little bit of math.  The biggest hurdle for me was placement of the pleats.  There are 4 pleats on mine front and back.  The number of pleats and placement is really up to you.  You just need to check your math and make them symmetrical.  I chose 4 pleats because Ping did four in the tutorial and the math was already done for me.  It hurt my brain to even think about doing the math for more.  I placed the pleats on the front farther apart and the pleats on the back are closer together because that's just the way I liked it.  I bet I spent a good 2 hours placing, pinning and trying on to get the perfect placement because well I'm a perfectionist. #noshame

side

The skirt waistband is finished with a side zip and two button snaps.  When I first finished the skirt I debated on ripping out the waistband and taking in the waist and sides a little because it was a little too loose.  I threw it in my to do pile.  Two weeks later it still laid in the to do pile so I decided to go ahead and get these pictures.  Today the fit is a different story, it feels just right.  I did have a big lunch though.  I hand stitched the hem while watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix.  Anyone else watch the show?  My love for Jax that I had at the beginning of the season is starting to sour.  But who doesn't love a bad boy?

vitoeyes
Vito says, "I'm a bad boy momma, love me please!"





I'm sure you've all by now noticed the new blog design.  I was going through a bit of a dry spell when it come to the blog, hence the month away.  I thought a new design might get me back in the spirit of things plus I think change is good.  The header is temporary.  It's just one I quickly whipped up myself.  My template was purchased on Etsy here.  Carrie has some really nice designs if your looking for a change yourself and I think the price is reasonable.  She was great to work with and very quick to answer any questions I had.

Who's in on the Crazy Dog Lady Sewing Challenge hosted by Tanya, Carlee and Sophie-Lee?  I think it's pretty obvious that I'm all in!  I've got my fabric ordered and my pattern picked out.  Follow me on Instagram for sneeky peaks!

And Carlee I'm totally borrowing your gif because it's hilarious and I think this is how Vito would like to react when I say "Bath time!!"  He hates it.







You Might Also Like

24 comments

  1. This is the perfect wintery plaid skirt. Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Vito is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely outfit. Great colors for winter to brighten things up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice outfit Shanni. I love a plaid skirt but strange enough I don't have one...Hmmm. It's been quite a while since I made a Renfrew and after seeing yours, I'm inspired to make one. Thanks for enabling me to sew more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this outfit! It all looks so lovely paired together. I can't believe that you found that fabric in an antique store!

    I love your redesign! I know mine helped me get back into blogging. That gif is sooooo cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha borrow away! I laughed out loud the first time I saw that gif. All the other ones were either dogs jumping and missing the couch or puppies being cute, but that one, well, clearly doesn't fit into those categories. I love both your top and skirt. I really need more basic tops and have been oogling Renfrew, but I think I'm going to have to try the Bronte first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That skirt is adorable, the whole outfit is why we sew- to have just the perfect thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great outfit! I love the pink renfrew, and your skirt looks great! I got pretty hardcore into SOA - it's pretty addicting! I definitely had a love/hate relationship with Jax too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fantastic outfit! The pink of your Renfrew is such a gorgeous color and the skirt is fabulous with boots. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! It's hard to not have a love/hate relationship with all of them! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've noticed it on others as well so figured it must be a Renfrew thing. Like you said no one will notice but me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the Bronte too.
    I cant get enough of that gif!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks!! I really did get lucky finding that fabric. I had to restrain myself from buying it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this pairing! It's so cute! And who isn't obsessed with Ping's blog?! There's some discussion of this exact fit issue in the Renfrew here and some good suggestions for fitting it: http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=19504.0

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I love the color of your top! I also posted about the Renfrew armpit wrinkles awhile back (http://www.spiffystitches.ca/2014/06/sewing-sewaholic-renfrew-2.html). I found that scooping the armscye worked.

    ReplyDelete
  15. really like these colors! I don't know about the renfrew because i haven't made enough, but i had major wrinkles in that exact spot with a moneta dress i made. i compared the pattern piece to another pattern that doesn't cause those wrinkles, and noticed the moneta armhole/armscye went much higher. so maybe it's that the armhole isn't big/low enough? hope that makes sense. i am a total newbie to fit and garment sewing but just thought i'd share my experience!

    ReplyDelete
  16. www.tresbienensemble.comFebruary 9, 2015 at 4:35 PM

    These fabrics were a great find! I think they definitely deserved to be together in an outfit like this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks!! Love when I score big at the antique store!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I'll check out your fix, thanks!

    ReplyDelete