What the hell am I doing??? My attempts at learning cameras and coverstitch machines.

Saturday, April 11, 2015


pug1

Well hellooo there!  Sure has been hard for me to get back into the swing of this blogging thing.  Maybe now that the weather has finally sobered up and taken a right turn towards the direction of Spring I will feel inspired to get outside to take pictures of my makes. 
In preparation for that I've decided it's time to actually learn how to use that fancy camera I just had to have when I started blogging.  Big expensive fancy camera does not instantly equal better pictures like I once thought.  You have to know how to use it and that doesn't mean turning the dial to auto mode.  My local university once offered non credit courses on the subject.  I tried to enroll in a Spring course and was told they had to cut costs and cancel the course.  I was now stuck with manual in hand and a serious case of the yawns.  I did a lot of research online trying to find an affordable online class, one that I wouldn't lose interest in.  My first go was with this Craftsy class.  I made it about 2/3rds of the way in and gave up because my internet connection is a total piece of shit and I spent a majority of time waiting on the page to buffer.  Totally weird because I don't have that problem when I watch Netflix.  Any tech junkies out there wanna offer some advice, I'm all ears.... Right now I'm currently taking the DSLR basics course offered by A Beautiful Mess.  So far I'm really enjoying it.   Each lesson can be read at your own pace and it's really easy to understand.  I've got a lot to learn when it comes to focus and exposure as you will see in some of the pictures in this post.  I can't wait to actually know what the hell I'm doing!
  
back1

Right before Christmas I got a coverstitch machine.  It sat on the floor for a couple months untouched as I was scared to use it.  I finally dusted it off and used this pattern, the Idyllwild top/dress pattern by Itch To Stitch to make a couple t-shirts with it.  This is a fitted style tee which I really like.  The pattern comes with 7 sleeve options, 2 neckline options and 3 different length options AND it's only a buck. 

My first tee was made with a ponte knit from Joann Fabric.  Since ponte is heavier with a little less stretch than most knits I wish I would of sized up.  It turned out a little too snug and outlines all the bumps and bulges you don't particularly want emphasis on.  This is the only picture I was able to get that didn't show the complete outline of my bra or my belly button...your welcome.

practice

But look at that nice coverstitched hem!

coverstitch

My second version I used a black & white striped jersey knit from Fabric Mart.  I so wish I could link you to some of this awesome fabric but it seems they are all out.  It's lightweight and has the perfect amount of stretch that makes it super comfortable. 

Playing with my camera in manual mode here.  I'm pretty sure this isn't the ideal exposure but I kinda think it looks neat. 

play

back2

Learning to use my coverstitch has been a lot of trial and error (same can be said for my camera).  The amount of helpful youtube tutorials on the subject is lacking.  If anyone knows of any please let me know.

I know there are a ton of great t-shirt patterns out there and you probably already have your favorite or TNT but if not I highly recommend this pattern.  I've got enough of the black/white jersey knit leftover to make a short sleeve tee to wear to death this summer.

front

Have any of you taken any online photography classes?  If so did you learn alot and see improvement in your photo taking abilities?

Have a great weekend all!

You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. The craftsy course - I'm not sure if you tried this but there is a little button on the bottom of the window that runs the course and one of the options is take off the HD, I think it strikes a line through the HD, and now its not running at so high a quality. Once I did that I didn't have the buffering problems you described.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the coverstitch there is a lack of materials. But you didn't say what kind you have? If its a Janome Coverpro pattern review has loads of info in the forums dedicated to this machine. I have a Babylock and its tough getting info. But Debbie Cook's blog has some really good stuff about coverstitch machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you are doing great from what I see for stating out of the gate with your camera and coverstitch machine from what I see. Don't be so hard on yourself it takes time. I purchased a nice Cannon camera 3 years ago, and its still sitting around. Good classes are hard to find and when you find a good class quite pricey. I travel a lot for work, but when I get back I'm going to try to find a class to take, I'm more of a hands on person.
    What ever you are doing keep it up, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shanni you are so inspiring - look at you go with all the photography courses! I think your photos are looking great and I especially love the one of you in the pink top with Vito poking out behind you. I think coverstitch machines take some getting used to - I'm still figuring mine out too.
    Great t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation, I just bought the pattern too! Will try to work on it this summer :). Good luck with your new items...I'm sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out your mad awesome coverstitch skills- too rad! Hope you have a blast with the camera class- it sounds like lots of fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as the coverstitch goes, you just gotta practice :) And use tissue paper or another stabilizer. I think I use tissue paper on at least half of my hems, if not more. Keep at it, it's worth it!

    I don't have a DSLR, but I've looked through a LOT of books about photography, and by far this one is the best: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1465408452/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=19NZ45O6KTH5C&coliid=ISC6WU94LOREF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic tops, you've inspired me to have another go at sewing tshirts. I did the photography course at Rowdy Kittens blog. It was good, but the best advice was just to take lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking of releasing my camera slave and going self clicker- you look very comfortable and relaxed in your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shirt hems look great and your pictures look good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im envious of your fabric scores, I'll have to check out that ponte. Ive had that pattern on the radar for a while, I'm bumping it up the list now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you!! Yes it sure does take a lot of time and practice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! Vito never misses a photo opportunity :)>

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a pretty good tee pattern. Quick to make!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The coverstitch is a pretty awesome machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks I added that to my wish list. I didn't think about adding tissue paper. I'll try that next time. It would of been real helpful for that thin black/white jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! Tshirts are one of my favorite things to make because once you get the hang of it they are a super quick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The self clicker is an awesome tool. I could never get relaxed pics when the hubs was taking them. He was too busy trying to make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes bump it up! It's a great tee with lots of options!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ugh I need to learn how to use my camera. I'm going to check out the classes you linked to though. Let me know if you find anything else! Why isn't there more out there?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been itching to fully learn my camera on manual mode, too. When my boyfriend used to take my photos he used Creative Auto because it was easy to get decent shots, but this year I've been taking all of my own photos with a tripod and remote. It's been a lot of trial and error, and making one tiny adjustment at a time, but it feels so awesome when you finally get it! I think your photos look great :) I love that T-shirt pattern too! I'll have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always love your photos! I use creative auto a lot too. Seems like its so hard for me to get good focus using the tripod and remote. Practice makes perfect or so they say ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhh....I feel your pain! My coverstitch is so under used so I'm of no help there. I had more sucess with my camera after I started using a 50mm lens and I just started playing with it. I really loke your t-shirts though...very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Debbie of Stitches and Seams has a lot of lovely info on using a cover stitch machine. And the pattern revie forums have an extensive and well-organized section on it too. I just bought one and have been learning how to use it, so I can relate :)

    I must admit, after my first successful T-shirt hem, I felt kinda like a rockstar, cos I never tried a twin needle, they always seemed like far too much of a hassle. I will say, I think a really slinky knit can benefit from a knit stabilizer. I also bought a fancy hem guide that screws into my machine bed. Apparently some people dislike these, but I love mine,and think they are worth trying out if you can. No wonky seams, and I'm certainly not any kind of sewing expert.

    Good luck, and I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What kind of coverstitch do you have? I bought the Brother 2340 and I bought a hem guide as well and I'm having the hardest time using it. My fabric was kind of slinky so maybe if I try a stabilizer like you said that would help.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have an Elna 444 - it's apparently identical to the Janome Coverpro 1000cx (dx? Not sure I have that right...) In any case, it has 3 needles. I wonder if there is some useful info on the brother one on Pattern Review... I know for the Elna, there's more than one hem guide. I used mine for quite a lightweight (but not slinky) knit the other night, and there was a little tunnelling - I used the wider setting, with the two outside needles, rather than the narrow stitch. I think a narrow stitch would likely cause less tunnelling. Clearly, we both have to experiment!

    Debbie at stitches and seams uses a post-it pad as a hem guide. The one I have is one you feed the fabric through, so it gives me a little more control. Mind you, it cost way more than post-its do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks better than the one in Gertie's book. I really like your version

    ReplyDelete