Fabric Stash Contest Challenge: Kirsten Kimono Tee

Monday, June 15, 2015

Hello there, I'm back!  Holy crap has it really been 2 months!?  A lot has been going on... some house remodeling, another round of SOA but mostly I've just lost me mojo.  I haven't even kept up with my bloglovin' reader and I really hate that it got to the point where I had to hit the "mark all as read" button.  I apologize for my lack of commenting on your blogs. I miss you guys!  I've decided to peel myself from the couch, dust off the old machine, turn up the tunes and get down to business.  I needed a little encouragement to get back into the swing of things so I entered a contest. whaaaa!?!?!
Sewing Pattern Review's Fabric Stash Contest..

Fabric Stash Contest 2015

This is more of a motivational challenge than a contest to me.  I care nothing about getting votes or winning any prizes.  The reward here is using up some of my stash of course and getting that feeling back.  You know that feeling you had when your first started sewing?  You were so impressed with yourself that you couldn't wait to take pics and blog about your make.  Lunch hours were spent shopping for fabric only to return back to work to spend the rest of the day dreaming about what you were gonna make with it when you got home.  Well that was my life anyway and I want it back.  To get back into the groove I started off with something easy, the Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono Tee.

front3

You can get this pattern for free by subscribing to Maria's newsletter (plus you'll get a 20% discount code).  It's an easy, no fuss make.  If I can make it within an hour I bet you can make it in less than half.  It's that easy!
  
back

This tee is designed with negative ease at the bust and flares out to a looser fit at the waist and hips.  I was more interested in getting a looser fit all around so I cut a large.  For the neckline I used attempted Megan Nielsen's neckline binding method.  In true Shanni fashion I skimmed through the instructions really only focusing on the pictures.  In doing so I missed out on the most important part, when attaching your binding to the neckline you go opposite of what your used to, you attach it to the wrong side of your shirt.  Then you fold it over to the right side and topstitch enclosing the seam.  Since I attached it to the right side of my shirt I went ahead and folded it over to the wrong side and it turned out fine.
  
neckline1

One of the rules of the fabric stash contest is that the fabric you use must be at least 6 months old.  Mine has been in my stash since Sept 2014.  It's a jersey knit I purchased from Fabric Mart.  My last post was this tee I made with it.  I'm sad to say I've now used it all up.  I just love the feel of this fabric and it's perfect for the hot days we've been having.

For my next and favorite version I shortened the neckline about an inch because I felt the first was a little too wide.. my bra straps show if I'm not careful.

front2

This fabric has been in my stash since 2014.  It's a cotton spandex blend from Girl Charlee.  I love the feel and drape of it but I'm not quite sure how long it's going to last.  After only 2 washings it's not really pilling but looks like more like a feathering..does that even make sense? ha! 

back2

I successfully pulled off the neckline binding on this version (high five)!  After looking at the two different necklines I think I prefer my mess up on the first.  I like how the binding is not seen at all.  The sleeve hem and bottom hem are just folded under a half inch and finished with my coverstich machine.  I'm still trying to get the hang of that thing! 
 
neckline2 

Overall this pattern is a win!  You can see between the two how bringing in the neckline affected the overall fit up top.  I may even size down to a medium next time.

So since I've been gone what all have you been sewing up that I missed?  Link it below! I would love to check it out!!


You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. Welcome back! I've been in the same position as you, busy with house stuff and not sewing much. Glad to see you posting again! Love both shirts, they look like they will get a lot of wear! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - so glad you're back! Both these shirts looks great! I think I prefer the first neckline binding too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. H'ray! You're back! I love the Tees, although I think the floral one is my favorite. I agree that the neck binding on the stripes is the better solution. It looks prettier and more finished. While you were out, I battled my way through a sewing dare with some scuba knit. I may have to swear off knits for a while! http://sometimesshesews.blogspot.com/2015/06/sew-daring.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! What a great pattern to start back with too, I love it! I've made a few of them now & really need some more. I love both your fabrics. I've been doing quite a bit of sewing, just not much blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.comJune 15, 2015 at 5:28 PM

    These are both lovely. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have missed your posts and glad you are back! Very nice tops. I need to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaahhh I just read your post! I'm so proud of you for battling through and finishing your dress! I've never sewn with scuba knit before. Some knits are harder than others to work with. I hate sewing with ITY knit. yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read your good news! Congrats on the new house. Can't wait to see your new sewing space. How exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you are back...I have been sucked into the redecorating the house black hole and I am finally coming up for air too! So many missed posts... Great tops Shanni!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute! It's nice to see you back again! I'm way behind on blog reading right now and also on blogging... oops! And somewhere deep in the bowels of my stash lurks a taped but not traced version of this pattern... better dig that out cause these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should. It's such a quick and easy pattern!

    ReplyDelete