Blue Dot Patterns Creative Sewing Challenge: The Margo Blouse

Sunday, November 22, 2015

IMG_2024

A few weeks ago Diane from Gatorbunny Sews contacted me to see if I'd be interested in participating in the Creative Sewing Challenge hosted by herself and Melissa of Malicia Designs.

You might remember Diane from the first Fabric Mart Fabricista Challenge which is where we met.   I've continued to follow Diane's blog since the challenge and was excited to see she had started her own PDF sewing pattern line, Blue Dot Patterns.  The Creative Sewing Challenge was started to showcase her patterns and their versatility.   I gladly accepted her invite and was gifted with the Margo Blouse to unleash my creativity upon.

detailshot_Snapseed

My vision for this blouse was to create a pintuck yoke and incorporate a vintage lace trim from my stash into the design.  For the fabric I found the perfect rayon print from Joann fabric.  While walking to the cutting counter I stumbled upon some cotton lace trim that matched the color of my vintage trim and snatched it up in hopes to use it somehow in the design.

detail2_Snapseed

Before cutting out the yoke I first created my pintuck/lace detail on a square piece of fabric.  This by far was the most time consuming part of the project.   I had a RTW top I pulled inspiration from and I did a shoddy test run on some scrap fabric. Once I figured out the design and spacing of the tucks I started on my real fabric.  Instead of marking all my tuck lines with chalk then sewing them I found it easier, though more time consuming, to mark my line, sew it, then mark my next line.  Whatever works.  Once I had enough to cover the yoke I placed my pattern piece on top and cut.  I then sewed a line of stitching all around the edge of the yoke so my threads wouldn't unravel and my tucks would stay down.

I didn't cut anything on the fold.  Rayon can be one of those trickier fabrics to cut so to ensure every piece was cut on grain I cut every piece on a single layer.  I chose to cut View A with the straight hem, View B has a curved hem, and I used the long sleeves from View B.  I shortened them so they would hit just below my elbow which is where the pattern is intended to hit I just have short arms, and I omitted using the elastic around the sleeve hem.  I used the trim I found at Joann's instead.
 
closeup1_Snapseed

I cut an xsmall and I wanted a little more width so when cutting I added an inch to each side tapering to a half inch only at the armpit.  I made the half inch adjustment to my sleeve as well as I thought they were a little snug on my muslin.  

front2_Snapseed

side_Snapseed

back_Snapseed

I'm so happy with the way this turned out.  It's totally my style.  Sweet without being sickening and I think it's got a little of that boho-chic vibe to it.  

fullview1_Snapseed

Make sure you visit Blue Dot Patterns to check out the rest of Diane's sewing pattern line.  She will be having a giveaway on her blog starting 12/1 though 12/18.  Also check out the makes made by the other Creative Sewing Challenge bloggers...

                                                   Michelle of That Black Chic
                                                   Ashley of Sewn by Ashley
                                                   Sara of Musings of a Seamstress
                                                   Cindy of Cindy Parret
                                                   Rachel of Bobbins on My Mind
                                                   Kyla of Life by Ky
                                                   Amy of That's Sew Amy
                                                   Melissa of Mahlica Designs

It just dawned on me that my top is the perfect Thanksgiving Day attire.  Perfect for hiding my gut and unbuttoned jeans after stuffing myself with turkey and dressing.  Happy Turkey Day ya'll!  I hope you all get to spend the day surrounded by friends and family giving thanks and eating lots of turkey and pie.


You Might Also Like

0 comments