Moxie Patterns Verity

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

verity cover

A couple of weeks ago Becca fellow sewing blogger and designer of Moxie Patterns contacted me about my interest in reviewing her Verity shirt and dress pattern.  You may remember this pattern from a few years back.  I distinctly remember the split cowl version. 😍  She's re-launching the pattern to include an extended size range and a little girl's size range.  There is also a 4th neckline option, the peter pan collar.  Yes please!!

verity sleeve

Pattern: Verity by Moxie Patterns  PDF available here or here
Fabric:  Matte jersey from Joann Fabric.   I'm not sure this was the best fabric choice.  It's 100% polyester and somewhat uncomfortable as a close fitting top.  It gathers well though and has a beautiful drape which I think would be perfect for a circle skirt.  The collar and sleeve cuffs are a jersey.....also from Joann's.  
Notions:  Light interface for the collar and stay tape for the shoulder seams.
Sizing & Alterations:  I cut an XS up top and graded to a Small at the waist and hips.  My test version fit perfect.  Never working with a 100% polyester knit before I went into my final version with a bit of anxiety.  This fabric just felt weird to me but I loved the matte look of it.  I was uncertain it had enough stretch so to be safe I cut a little wider seam allowances.  It's a little looser in places than it should be but I'm glad because polyester isn't very breathable.

I drafted my own sleeve cuffs and my idea didn't turn out as originally planned.  My idea was a split sleeve cuff that I could wear rolled up or down that extended a little past my elbow.  I failed to cut my sleeve long enough and my cuff is way too tight when I roll it up.  After cutting out my 3rd sleeve I said the heck with it and made this work.  I think it turned out just fine.  You all probably didn't even need to know it's not what I originally planned.   😏

verity back

Loves: Although I find the execution of gathers a pain like I'm sure most of us do, I love the end result.  I'm rather fond of the gathering on the back.  The front also has gathering around the bust. 

IMG_2678

verity front

The instructions for this pattern are very thorough and easy to understand. I love that she includes different methods for assembling each version.  I like options!  And if your a beginner and you need a little more guidance you can follow along with the step by step instructions and pictures or if your more advanced you can simply follow the short and sweet instructions which are only a page long. I like those instructions because it makes me think I'm going to get done faster. Ha Ha wishful thinking on my part!

verity swing2

I hope to find the time to make the split cowl neck version with long sleeves.  Maybe in a thicker knit perfect for winter. 

Hope your having a great week so far!  I'm off to watch the latest American Horror Story.  Anyone else watching? What are your thoughts?  I have to say this is my least favorite season but I'm going to stick it out.  I'm hoping Lady Gaga will make another appearance.

~Shannon





Want to follow me outside of the blog?  Craving a little pug shenanigans?   I'm most active on Instagram - @shanni_jordan and Snapchat - @shanni_loves   See you there!


You Might Also Like

0 comments