Jennifer Lauren Vintage ~ Bronte Knit Top

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hey you guys!!!!! (said in my best Sloth voice).  I was reminded the other day that June 7th marked the 25th anniversary of the day The Goonies was released into theaters.   Man that makes me feel old...real old.  My brother and I watched that movie so many times as kids we probably have most of the lines memorized by heart.  I've been replaying the "truffle chuffle" over and over in my head for dayz.  So what's the truffle chuffle, baby ruth, and the Goonies have to do with the Bronte Knit top?? Nothing, sorry I'm easily distracted.

muslin1_front3main2

This is the newest pattern released by Jennifer Lauren.  I was asked to test the pattern and there was no hesitation in my saying yes.  I was really intrigued by the style of this top.  I was sent the pdf pattern in return for my time and feedback.  All opinions are my own and the honest truth.     


The Bronte Knit Top

A vintage take on the basic knit top.  This top has a unique lapped shoulder - neckline detail.
Make this up with contrasting neckline bands to make the detail really pop.
Short and long sleeve options. 

Ingredients:
Pattern:  PDF pattern available here for $12.50
Fabric:   Medium to heavy weight knits with good stretch.  Jennifer was really good about
                including lots of detail regarding exactly what type of knit to choose for the top. 
Notions: Optional - buttons for the neckline detail.
Needle:  Ballpoint

muslin1_back

Pattern Assembly:  The pdf is 24 pages and just like the Afternoon Blouse it's very easy to choose which version you want to sew and print only those pieces.  Saves paper and space on your cutting table..or floor..wherever your taping your pattern together.

muslin1_closeup

Sizing and Fitting:  The sizes range from 6-20.  I cut a size 8 and first made a muslin (pictured above). There was no fitting alterations needed for me.  Yay!

Construction:  This top was a super quick make.  Maybe 3 hours tops and that's including pattern assembly.  The lapped shoulder/neckline looks tricky doesn't it? Looks can be deceiving, it's super easy.  Because of all the thought put into the instructions of this pattern total newbs can sew this up too!  I only made a few minor changes to my muslin involving length.  No fault of the pattern at all, just my own personal tastes.  For the short sleeves: the instructions have you folding up the sleeve hem twice (3/4) and stitching.  I first serged my hem them only folded up once and stitched.  I just preferred that length better.  I did the same with the bottom hemline.  I just wanted it a smidge longer. Fabric above was from Joann Fabric, butterfly print juvenile knit (major clearance snag).  I added some brown buttons from my stash for the neckline.  On my final top below I did a few things different.  For the neckline bands I used a contrasting solid knit and omitted the buttons.  I love the look of the contrasting neckline.  It makes that detail really pop!  I also added contrasting sleeve bands.

final_front

My fabric here was purchased on clearance at Girl Charlee.  I made a goof on this one that I could really kick myself in the arse for.  I don't know if you can even see it (your left, my right arm) but when attaching my sleeve, (I used my serger) I somehow grabbed some of the front bodice in with the sleeve.  So you know if I unpick the serged seam it's most likely that front piece that accidentally got caught up in it will have a gigantic hole in it....then whadaya do?  I'm afraid to unpick it to find out and there is only a small pucker.  The neckline band pretty much covers that pucker.  So I'm gonna leave it!

final_back

I've got a third Bronte cut out and waiting patiently to be sewn up.  It will be in a solid brown knit. My closet is in desperate need of basics.  The unique detailing of this shirt can really jazz up a basic solid so I find myself less hesitant to sew basics at the moment.  

Shortly after taking these pictures a couple of deer were casually strolling through the field in front of our house.  Such beautiful and peaceful creatures.  The one just stopped and stared at me for what seemed like an eternity.  I swear she was staring straight into my eyes.  It's moments like these that make me glad I live out in the sticks.  

PicMonkey Collage
deer2

If you read my last post you already know I quit Disqus and changed my comment platform to IntenseDebate. I somehow screwed it up royally and had to reinstall it so if you go visit my last post the platform reverted back to Blogger (so no I'm not crazy it really was there before).  Any of you lovelies that commented on the last post telling me what you thought of the new platform, your comments got deleted. :( Sorry.  I remember who you are though and I'm looking into some of the problems/concerns you had. With IntenseDebate you install it on current posts. If you go back and install on previous posts you risk losing all your comments.  There is a comment import available but only for Wordpress. Apparently Blogger had some bugs and they had to disable.  I didn't want to risk losing comments so I played it safe and installed on current posts only.  So fingers crossed that the new platform loads on this post!

What's on your sewing table right now? Inquiring minds what to know!


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Oooh I think the red and pink is my favourite but you have two very cute tops here! And it's very cool that deer just amble by your house :-D

    ReplyDelete