The Rambo Project: This Pug's Leaving No Treats Behind!

Monday, June 30, 2014

Wheee I've got something fun to start off your Monday!  I hope you've all been following along with The Rambo Project if not you've totally missed out so allow me to catch you up.  The Rambo Project is the brainchild of the smart & super crafty SeamstressErin.  You see she's got connections, the kind of connections that gets you the goods.  And what exactly are these goods?...

Only a whole lotta fabric used in the movie RAMBO III!!!!   

Photo Source: SeamstressErin

You can read the full story behind the madness here.  The fabric was used as turbans in the movie. Erin asked me and several other bloggers if we would be willing to take a turban and sew it up into something awesome.  Well of course I would!!  I was only 11 when the movie first released and I'm almost positive my Dad was one of the first to rent it.  Funny story, one of the first things that pops into my mind when I think of Rambo, my old high school principal.  I remember going to the video store with my parents around the time when Rambo was popular. (yes there was such a time, and DVDs were a thing of the future). I seen, who would soon be in a few years, my high school principal renting movies and what movie did I see in his hand?? Rambo!  I thought to myself, "Whooaa he likes Rambo! I bet he's an awesome principal(and turns out he was).  At that time it absolutely blew my grade school mind that a school principal would be into guns and violence.  I thought teachers only read books and ate nothing but apples.  Oh to be young and naive again!  Present self, I only remember bits and pieces of the movie so of course I went right out and rented it.  I had to see those turbans in action.  Yeah I doubt ol' Sly actually touched the fabric himself but looks like he got pretty dang close!


I knew that I wanted to make something with this fabric that I could and would wear all the time. You may find me walking up to complete strangers  "Hey like my pants? Yeah!? Well you may have seen them in the movies.  They ARE famous and all!"

front1

The fabric is some kind of weird stretchy linen type complete with stains and burn holes (from explosions and shit!)  Each end had stripes and there was quite a lot of fabric to work with.

before

After much backlash from the brother in laws, (they said, nooo way dude, don't cut up that fabric! It'll be worth millions one day)  I decided to use Grainline's Maritime shorts pattern.  I had just enough of the solid blue fabric for a complete pair and was successful in cutting around the stains and most of the burn holes. I do have a small hole on the front of the pants but it just adds character and credibility to my story.  I used the stripes for the front pockets and for chevron butt pockets...

back2

front2

The added stretch in the fabric makes these pants sooo comfy. God I'm in love with these pants. I've worn them nearly every day.  The pattern has become a TNT for me and have already made another pair.  I'm saving a review for a future post because there are other things I really need to address here from watching the movie.  I wasn't really tuned into the whole plot, something about Rambo on some rescue mission in Afghanistan, but the one thing I did notice that Rambo was missing throughout the movie, besides a shower, was a sidekick.  Batman had Robin, Zorro had his horse and Spongebob has Patrick so only fitting that Rambo have a furry sidekick to sniff out all the enemies. Without further ado I give to you Pugbo.

 vito growl

Wipe that snarl off your face Vito.  Pugbo was the best I could come up with.
(Feel free to click on any picture to enlarge for full scale hilariousness!)

vito hungry

PicMonkey CollageVito3 

A few moments later...
PicMonkey CollageVito
PicMonkey Collage Vito2
foundit

Thanks Pugbo, if it wasn't for your keen eye I may have stepped in that hole and broke my ankle.  Your my hero!


Pugbo trailer2

You Might Also Like

47 comments

  1. Fabulous shorts and fabulous Pugbo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your shorts and Pugbo is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very creative with this fabric. I love the chevron pockets on the back, and your pug is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg those shorts are so awesome!!! So is Pugbo! You are totally rocking that Rambo fabric! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poor dog. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I love this! He looks quite happy to be your sidekick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of the stripes on the pockets!!! And those pug photos are fan-freakin-tastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bahahaha! OMG Vito's face! I'm dying! I can't even think about how amazing your shorts are because Heeellloooooo! Doggy in a bandana!! <3 <3 <3 (...but seriously, your shorts are amazing)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am dying over the first Vito picture!!!!!! Your shorts are awesome, but Vito is such a scene stealer, I can't stop looking at him! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! Pugbo, I love you!! Your shorts are brilliant, I love the chevrons on the back pockets; but, come on, Pugbo! Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looooove the peek of stripes on the front pockets...gonna steal that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love everything about this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your shorts are great, perfect use of the turban fabric, but Pugbo is the best! Vito is such a good sport. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those shorts are wicked and I love Vito's outfit! Why do pugs look so awesome dressed up? I promised myself I would never dress Pixel up but he looked so cute as a Christmas pudding!
    Great use of the turban I say!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhh Pugbo, you're my hero!! And those shorts are great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool! The shorts are awesome, but I am afraid that Pugbo has totally stolen the limelight!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute shorts, Shanni! An excellent use of the stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, these shorts are so wearable! What a great use of the Rambo fabric. The Pugbo montage was a total delight!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vitooooooooooooo!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! He looks so cute!!! I love your shorts, too! Clever use of the fabric, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic shorts! Pugbo is the ULTIMATE sidekick!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Pugbo!! Awesome shorts too, it's amazing what you can do with a turban! Pugbo's outfit is adorable too! It's amazing what these little pugs are willing to do to keep us entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Nilla! Pugbo sends many licks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Jean! I really like these shorts and was worried about attracting attention to my behind with chevron pockets but I really think they turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know! Poor Vito. I'm always subjecting him to various things for laughs. But I secretly think he likes all the attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vito thanks you much with snots and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't believe I actually got those photos of him. I had to be really fast!

    ReplyDelete
  26. haha isn't he hilarious!? That snarl was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. He is!! I think the treats have a lot to do with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't help myself but to dress him up for a good laugh every now and then. I don't think he minds too much because he loves the attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm afraid that was Pugbo's plan all along! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks! I've gotten lots of wear out of them! I can't say as much for Vito and his bandana. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  31. They are so fun! When I get that outfit out he gets all excited like he can't wait to get it on. haha! I know he loves the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  32. One word: ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was blown away at the shorts (that is one tricky stretchy fabric) and you've made n awesome pair of shorts from it.....but frankly my dear you and your shorts have been totally upstaged by Pugbo, love those buttons and the attitude. Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Brilliant! Love the shorts and love the Pugbo story. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG!! I love this post on so many levels! What a fantastic idea for a sewalong and you 'killed' it!! The shorts are fabulous, the striped pockets inspired and a lovely design detail. They fit you so well too! And, Pugbo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no words. Kitty bows to the master of theatre ceremonies. Thank you Pugbo for making my day. (ps, I have a pic to send you of a dress I bought that a sewist in Montreal sewed....yes, it is Rambo related, I think I'll IG it and tag you and Erin).

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your shorts, and the pug get up is pretty awesome too.

    http://www.point101.com/create-photo-book

    ReplyDelete